Wednesday, November 14, 2007

What's the Fuss over Plum-a-Granate?

Let me just start by saying that, if you're not a fan of obsessive behaviour, save yourself the trouble of reading this blog post.

I like Snapple. More to the point, I like a Snapple flavor called Plum-a-Granate. Not only does it have a purple label, it is freaking delicious.


Snapple is distributed by Dr. Pepper/Seven-Up. It is owned by the Schweppes/Cadbury. There is a Schweppes warehouse in Lake Forest, Illinois that currently contains over 700 cases of the stuff. And yet, this thirsty knitter cannot get any, unless I buy the variety pack, in which case I have to drink 10 bottles I don't like as well to get to the 2 bottles I crave.

You may wonder, how does she know so much about Snapple and distributors and warehouses? Research!

I will only touch on the sordid details, but let's just say that finding Plum-a-Granate Snapple is hard work. I've made no less than 25 phone calls, and visited 13 or 14 stores that the 1-800-SNAPPLE Customer Service line assured me carried that flavor. 1-800-SNAPPLE is one of the most worthless Customer Service number I've ever called. Not only do they lie about where to find their products, they will absolutely NOT transfer you to anybody with more knowledge. Plus, they treat you as if you're a lunatic for caring what flavor you're drinking. I'm not basing this opinion on one call; I've called 7 times.

Darling Heather from the Sow's Ear found it for me online at Dr. Soda, however, the shipping on one case was $43.00, so that didn't seem like a great solution. Snapple is heavy.

Finally, my new BFF Carl Miller, of Miller & Sons Grocery in Verona, Wisconsin (just across the street from the Sow's Ear), heard my pathetic plea and decided he would help. Here is a man who knows customer service. The Seven-Up salesman told him "no". So he went to the Madison distributor who told him "no". Up, and up, and up he went until he reached somebody at the Schweppes/Cadbury corporation with some empathy and who agreed the whole thing was ridiculous. Here's this poor knitter begging them to take her money!

They shipped 3 cases to Dubuque Iowa (because the Wisconsin distributor couldn't be bothered). From there they has been passed from pillar to post, winding their way towards Verona. Carl called me this morning to tell me he had 3 cases in his office. I almost wept.

If you know a knitter who works for Snapple, please send them a link to this post. OK, now that obsession is cured, what next?

20 Comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you can drink Snapple and knit with no ill effects. Happy knitting and drinking.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! He said he would be successful. Thank goodness for Carl Miller.
Okay, so you *have* to bring me one to try. I know it is quite possible that I will never be able to have another. It is treading dangerous water-- but it is much better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Right?

Nancy said...

Wonder if I can find some here and bring it to 2.75 next summer?

JenniferB said...

I'm really glad you got your Plum-A granite. Check out my daughter's new purple shoes....

http://friender.blogspot.com/

Mary Lou said...

Well if I see any, I'll know who to save it for!

Linda said...

Oh. My. God. I'm about to pee on myself laughing.

Way to hang in there Amy!! And thanks for making my day....

Anonymous said...

I was just in my local Jewel and they had the variety pack and pomagranate/raspberry but I knew you wouldn't settle for it. Glad to hear you are a happy gal tonight and if you spill it won't show on your knitting!!

Anonymous said...

that sounds delicious--i'll look for it. maybe dangerous to tell you, but republic of tea makes pomegranite/green tea bags (it's really good), and today i saw a billboard for premixed pomegranite mojitos-can't remember the brand.

Molly Bee said...

Thanks goodness the crisis has been averted....for now. Give Carl Miller a hug. That was above and beyond! Gonna be at Knit Night tomorrow?

Anonymous said...

So glad you got your sweet nectar, everyone's gotta have one favorite beverage to quench their thirst and amazingly yours turns out to be purple :) Too cool!

Unknown said...

I remember a Snapple ad campaign that involved a friendly lady answering fan mail, making the company seem so accessible. Rember Wendy the Snapple lady? What happened to her? I never understand companies like this that decide customer service is not worth the time. I love that you got some! good for you!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Isn't it frustrating when we can't find that one thing we desperately crave. Growing up in England I love a soda drink called "Dandelion and Burdock", it's like the english rootbeer. I have such a hard time getting it over here, so I have to order it in. For some reason, it hasn't taken off in the states. Probably something to do with the use of the word Dandelion in the title. I think Plum-a-Granate sounds more appealing to the average US consumer.

Of course, the great thing about your drinking a purple drink, is that when you spill it doesn't stain your purple pants, purple shirt, purple shoes and socks, or purple knitting.

Hey, maybe this color coded life isn't such a bad idea?!

Suzanna said...

maybe we desperately crave BECAUSE we can't get it.

Hmm, now that I think about it.... Nah!
They need to get you to be on one of their commercials.

knititch said...

oh i always want to get out of the house at one o clock at night to check out if my local 7eleven carries this flavour... silly. it just looks delicious and i get so thirsty... they are 6 dollars a bottle here. ridiculous. and you won't have them carried up to 4th floor. hoho.

Anonymous said...

It's not a fuss! I only wish I could find a bottle just to try it's plummy goodness!

Hey, it was July since I last saw you, but I'm coming to see you again at Knit Camp I 2008. And I'm bringing a knitting friend :)

Oh, and my purple snowflake mittens will soon be finished. I'll post the pics on the sadly desolate 2007 Knitting Camp blog when I finish them.

Anonymous said...

That's the sticktoitiveness of our Amy! Hey? Is there any citrus juice in that Snapple? 'Cause if not, I could drink it, too!

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love this flavor too and I am just as challenged as you trying to find it in packs other than the same diet variety pack you talk about. I don't get it at all. Why sell something you don't make readily accessible to your consumers?
Is it true Snapple has disco'd this flavor? It never fails. I find something I really like and then it's no longer available.

Molly Bee said...

Hi Amy! We're coming up on the 1 year anniversary of your last post! Are you doing anything special to celebrate? :-)

Anonymous said...

I was addicted to Snapple Plum-A-Granate, UNTIL they changed the label AND also changed the formula. While I would chug down a bottle in 5 minutes, now I sip it and make faces at the new horrible aftertaste.
VERY disappointed

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Plum-a-granate snapple. I HATE that the only place I can find it is in the variety pack. I did find it in a Publix in FL being sold individually...I was in heaven! Too bad I don't live in FL! However, a year later the Publix in FL does not stock it anymore. Best Snapple I have ever had. Wish Snapple would pack it individually!